Friday, March 19, 2010

Green Zone and Matt Damon


Last week I saw "Green Zone" at the cinema. The movie was almost slaughtered by Norwegian movie reviewers, so my expectations were low. But it's about the Bush invasion of Iraq in 2003, and Matt Damon played the main character so I had to go and see it!

Well, in the beginning you're thrown into an action sequence, and it just...stays there! I was waiting for a climax, but it didn't show up. Even my cousin (who I saw the movie with) almost slept through the movie, but woke up sometimes when there were shootings.

The director of Green Zone (Paul Greengrass) produced the Bourne movies which were awesome! Because of his earlier work, I expected more of this movie!

What's Green Zone about?
Everyone knows that former president Bush and his administration invaded Iraq, to find biological weapons. Matt Damon is a sergeant of the US Army, placed in Iraq to find these weapons. But does he find it? Of course not. Because there were no bio weapons to begin with.

Green Zone raises the cliche, like:
"Who do you think you are? You can't just take over our country!"

No bio weapons were found in Iraq. Then why did they go to war? To free the people of Iraq from Saddam's tyranny? Or was it simply to get their hands on oil? Oil that belongs to Iraq.

The war in Iraq has been a delicate issue for 7 years, and still is. When Obama became president, I thought: "Shit, poor guy, now he has to clean up the mess."

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who gets pissed when the question: "Why did Bush do this?" pops up. But I'm not into politics, and thank God I'm not, so I will leave it to the politicians who obviously know what they're doing.

Amanda

No comments: