Friday, January 8, 2010

Tapas Night....

... I just came home from a girl-night -- a fantastic dinner with my friend Liv!!! :D

Visiting Oslo, and wondering where you can grab some tapas in this town?
Our plan was to get inside the doors of "Delicatessen" at Grunerløkka in Oslo. "Delicatessen" is ALWAYS full whenever I'm there, and it bugs me because I don't know why I'm standing and waiting in a line. I've never tried the food, and don't know if all the waiting is worth it.

Why should I bother to go there if I know the chances of getting a table are minimal?
The reputation of "Delicatessen" has spread its roots across town. Almost everyone has either eaten or heard about this tapas-restaurant. In the summer, people will wait outside for several hours to get a table... In other words, their food must be good... And PS: You can't book a table, it's a drop-in restaurant!

But guess what, I met my girlfriend at Delicatessen and it was of course full. How long did they say we had to wait? -- 1,5 hour to get a table. Ugh!

So we went to San Leandro instead, which is a two minute walk from Delicatessen. To our surprise, it was also full... I guess that the impatient people who don't get a table at Delicatessen, goes straight to San Leandro... :-P

But we didn't have to wait that long... 15 minutes tops... finally! I was starving!

After 15 minutes we were given a table, wine menu and food menus. The options were variable and it wasn't that hard to choose. If you've eaten tapas before, it shouldn't be hard to know what to pick! ;-)

Here are the 7 dishes we chose: potatoes with aoili, tomatoes with basilico, king shrimps, the classic meat balls in tomato sauce, croquet with ham, chorizo, and mushrooms in tomato sauce. All in all good, but the croquet tasted weird. It tasted like melted cheese -- that's all. I just washed it down with a glass of sparkling rose wine (Freixenet Rosado Brut), NAM!



And be aware when you're deciding portions... 3 of the 7 dishes we ordered were in "large portion," and then 4 small ones. It was more than enough. I think I could have settled for 5 small portions and 2 large, or even 6 small portions and 1 large.

How much did the dinner cost?
Total of 977 kroner (= 172 US dollars). The tapas varied from 55 kr to 200 kr per dish, depending on what it is; veggy or sea food.

Verdict: Good, but not the best
I've tried the tapas at "Barcelona Tapas" in the same neighborhood, and the food was better there. But the place has been closed for a long time now, and I'm hoping that it will someday open again... :S

Positive: Friendly, English-speaking staff. The only Norwegian word they could understand I think, was "regning" (= as in the bill). Most of the food tasted good, like the meatballs and the king shrimps. The sparkling rose wine was excellent! It was like soda! (dangerous, we got a little drunk on one bottle)

Negative: Some of the dishes weren't worth its price. Like, the croquet and the mushroom.

I wouldn't order the mushroom again. I was expecting a little more extravagance. At other tapas restaurants in Oslo, you would get whole mushrooms with melted cheese on it. At San Leandro, they just sliced the mushroom into tiny pieces, threw it in a tomato sauce and added cold cheese on it.

Address:
San Leandro Tapas Grünerløkka
Thorvald Meyers Gate 76B
0550 Oslo

Amanda

Have a nice weekend!

No comments: